Friday, January 28, 2011

Blogging politicians in the US – a long gone trend?!

Our idea for today was to write about blogging politicians. We wanted to focus on rather unknown people. We know about quite a number of blogging politicians in Germany. So I went online and tried to find American politicians who blog. I’ve got to say, what I found came to me quite as a surprise. It’s not that I did not find someone. I found a lot of articles about blogging politicians. But whenever I clicked a link the address was no longer available or the last blog post was more than 5 years ago. I tried very hard. But my efforts bore no fruit. If any of you has other information, or knows about an American politician, who still bloggs on a regular basis, please let me know.

Though I haven’t found what I was looking for, I still think my findings very interesting. It seems to me that blogging (at least for American politicians) is a long gone trend. I found the answer to the question why that is, in Representative John Fritchey’s last blog entry. He quit blogging in August of 2010 after 5 years of keeping his blog updated with the following words: “And while the response and readership were great, I eventually realized that there simply weren't enough hours in the day for me to take care of everything else that I needed to and to continue to do this blog in the way that it deserved to be done. The ability to use Facebook and Twitter to reach an even wider audience essentially sealed the deal.” It’s a bit sad, because I think he obtained a decent blog.

Of course president Barack Obama has a blog. But this is not maintained by himself, so I don’t count it here.

A French guy by the name of Loic Le Meur has put together a nice list why politicians should blog. I recommend this as obligatory reading material to every politician out there. Facebook and twitter are nice, but nothing gives you the in-depth views and conversations like a hand-made blog does. #blog is not dead#
by US_watch

No comments:

Post a Comment